Sunday, February 15, 2009

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

While reading the American Recovery & Reinvestment act of 2009 I came across some items that did not sit well with me in the Health Information Technology section (making all medical records electronic by 2014).

For instance, "The term ‘enterprise integration’ means the electronic linkage of health care providers, health plans, the government, and other interested parties, to enable the electronic exchange and use of health information among all the components in the health care infrastructure in accordance with applicable law, and such term includes related application protocols and other related standards."

I do not want "enterprise integration" of my medical records to the government or other interested parties. What does other interested parties mean? Life insurance companies? Health insurance companies? Pharmaceutical companies? Are they going to be able to access this information and deny me benefits, increase by rates, or try to sell me prescription drugs? This is just too much government integration for me.

Another portion of this bill I found disturbing while reading it was this. ". . . improves the coordination of care and information among hospitals, laboratories, physician offices, and other entities through an effective infrastructure for the secure and authorized exchange of
health care information;"

There is that term other entities again. What, my doctor has to be told what to do from another entity?

There are benefits to this of course, but why is it being sold in a Recovery Act. I have not heard any politicians talk about this. Oh, that's right they have not read it, they were not given time to read it. They were told just to hurry up and vote for it so we can all be saved by the government because we are too dumb to help ourselves.

No comments: